What Can Human Relations Do to Help

The Human Relations Commission and staff can:

Help mediate disputes between tenant and landlord or rental agent or assist you in writing a letter to your landlord.

Assist with minimal housing repair process on all repairs requests for the rental unit based on the minimum Housing Standards per the Community Development Code Enforcement Division.

Inform you of your rights if your landlord tries to evict you for some unfair reason, such as your asking for repairs, etc.

Mediate housing inquires of unfair treatment and discrimination in housing. Both federal and North Carolina law prohibit discrimination based upon race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status (refusing to rent to families because they have children, including single parents and pregnant women, under 18 years of age) and discrimination on the basis of disability.